Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Special Girl

Even though Evie still has a month before she starts back to school, it feels to me like the summer is winding down.  In part, that's because I start about 3 weeks earlier than Evie - my first day back is July 31, and my students come back on August 7.  And in part it's because we're doing all the typical summer things (vacation, museum visits, etc) and as each one goes by, I feel like we're coming closer and closer to school starting.

During one of our shopping trips, Evie and I bought her a calendar and some stickers to decorate it.  We went through the months and put stickers on holidays, birthdays, and the first day of school.  Evie likes looking forward to events as much as I do.

One event we had this week was the church Ice Cream Social.  Evie enjoyed a few different types of ice cream and then spent the rest of the warm evening playing outside with other kids and adults in the church.  She tried her hand at hula-hooping, badminton, horse shoes, and croquet.


On Sunday after worship, we went to a restaurant where you walk up to the counter to place your order and then seat yourself and wait for it to arrive at your table.  As I was standing at the counter paying, I sent Evie to pick out a table for us.  She happened to choose one next to one of the newer members of the church who is fond of little kids.  Evie didn't notice that she was sitting near Mrs. Anna, but Anna said, "Well hey!" and Evie walked over to her and started a conversation.  When I got to the table, Evie came back to me and we ate lunch, and Anna had to leave to get to work.  Before she left, she lowered her voice to me and said, "I'm sure you hear this all the time, but you have someone very special right there."  My eyes started tearing up, because I know so well how special this little girl is.

Lately at night I've taken to staying with Evie until she falls asleep - which doesn't take long on these swim camp days - or, if Seth has put her to sleep, I sneak in on my way to bed.  I just lie there and watch her sweet little face and try to capture the moment in my memory.  She's inching closer and closer to being grown up, and I want time to stop right here.

There's nothing like an Evie hug to make your day better, or her funny ways of putting things when she's trying to explain something, or her unsolicited declaration of love for you.  She's an incredible kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment