Sunday, March 6, 2016

Circle of Life

Yesterday, Evie and I went to the zoo.  The last time we went, she wanted to wait in line to feed the giraffes but, unfortunately, the giraffes were being fed by a private group and she was terribly disappointed that we didn't get a turn.  So this time, I made sure that the giraffes were the first thing we went to, right on time to feed them.  We got in line and she was so excited about it.  She thought she was going to get to hold some branches that had leaves on them and let the giraffes pull the leaves off.  I thought that was what we were going to do too.  But it turned out that we were given some lettuce to hold and feed to them which was a little too intimidating for Evie.  Try as I might to get her to let me hold her and help her feed them, I ended up doing all the feeding because she was a little too scared.  But it still made quite an impression on her, I think.

After the zoo, I told her we would go to her favorite lunch place: Chick-Fil-A.  We go about twice a week because she loves finding new kids to play with on the playground.  So I told her we were going to Chick-Fil-A, eat, then play, then go home for a nap, then go to Granna's birthday dinner.  She repeated back to me, "We go to Chick-Fil-A, then play, then eat, then go home for a nap, then Granna's birthday."  I caught that she switched the order of eating and playing, and I thought she just had misspoken or misunderstood, but when I told her, "No, we're gonna eat THEN play," she cracked one of her slow-developing smiles like she was trying to pull one over on me and repeated it her way again.

At Granna's birthday dinner it was so apparent to me how much Evie loves everyone and how much everyone loves Evie.  My parents, Grandma Jeanne, Rickie, Kathy, and the three of us were there and Evie planted herself right in the middle of the table where she could best hold us all captive.  She entertained everyone with her recollection of the day's events at the zoo and then asked everyone individually if they would like to come to the zoo with her next time.  Then she said, "Everyone, raise your hand if you like macaroni and cheese."  We all raised our hands.  She led us through many other foods: chicken, ice cream, etc., and then said, "Raise your hand if you like horses."  We said, "To eat?!"  She laughed and said, "No..... To smell!"

Some great dialogues from this week:

Evie: I'm gonna miss you today.
Me: I'm gonna miss you too, baby.
Evie: No, I'm talking to the dogs.

Me: Evie, I love holding you at night time. It's my favorite part of the day.
Evie: Me too. (whispers) Mama, when I'm a grown up, I'm gonna hold you at night time.
Me: (weeping)

The circle of life (corny as that is) is never far from my mind when it comes to thinking about raising Evie. I am constantly reminded through the things I do with her of my own childhood (going to the zoo, games that I played, fond memories of spending time with my grandparents).  I sing "Bushel and a Peck" to Evie and am immediately reminded of my mom singing that to me.  I sing songs to her that remind me of Memmaw like "What a Friend We Have in Jesus".  I was so fortunate to know my grandparents so well, to have such a great relationship with all of them, to be present for my mom's parents' passing.  Watching her yesterday at dinner with all those adoring eyes on her, from her great-grandmother to great-aunt and -uncle, grandparents and parents... we are so very blessed to have each other, to get along with each other, and Evie is especially blessed to have a family who is so eager to be with her and enjoys her so much.  They all feel blessed to know her too.  I don't use the term blessed lightly.   Each evening as I hold and rock with Evie, I am thinking about how transient this life is, how quickly time passes, how children are the greatest gift, how incredible family is.  I cherish these moments so very much.


Sweet girl falling asleep on me at lunch last Sunday



No comments:

Post a Comment