Another fun topic for all parents is the birds and the bees. Evie has been under the impression that the way she got into my tummy was because I ate her when she was a baby. I wondered how I was going to set her straight in an age-appropriate level of detail... I tried explaining to her that she started out in my tummy, that mommies don't go around eating babies. I think she gets that concept now. She came home the other day and reported that the mom of one of her classmates has a baby in her belly, so I'm sure we'll be getting many more questions about this...
Evie kicked off this week with her first violin recital. Of course, she doesn't have a real violin yet and can't play anything so I was surprised when her teacher said she would be on the program for Monday. But she got exposure to the idea of standing in front of everyone, bowing, taking playing position, and standing with her violin while everyone watched, so I suppose that's the idea behind these lessons and recitals. I like that we are practicing every day, but I do think that Evie will enjoy it more and try harder when she gets the real instrument. Right now all the exercises are more about building the right kinds of movements with you arms and fingers in preparation for the real instrument, which I get, but I think it's so abstract that Evie loses interest much more quickly than she will when she gets the real instrument.
Taking her first bow
Holding her cardboard violin in playing position
Evie likes singing "Joshua Fought the Battle of Jericho" and when I come into her room in the mornings she is often singing it. I realized this week that she's singing, "And the wolf came tumbling down." That mental picture is priceless.


No comments:
Post a Comment