Friday, June 12, 2015

Three Years Old

Evie had the best time for her birthday!  I sang "Happy Birthday" to her when I woke her up that morning and she grinned from ear to ear and proceeded to sing "Happy Birthday" to herself off and on for the rest of the day.


We ran errands that morning to buy a few more supplies for her party and then she got a nap.  We decided to do a Donald Duck themed party.  This came about because several months ago, I asked her when she was acting a little silly, "Are you being goofy?"  She replied, "No, I Donald Duck!"  She's repeated that to us several times in the last few months and she does love to watch Donald Duck cartoons so we decided it might as well be a thing.  I had a special dress made for her so she could pretend to be Donald and we did up a whimsical take on a Donald cake.



Evie had a special "Donald hat" cupcake.

My parents were kind enough to host the party at their house and we invited some of the family and some friends.  There were 6 kids there: Evie, my cousin's 3 girls, Ivy, and Baby Nathan.  They all had a blast playing with the relic Fisher Price toys that are still lingering at Mom and Dad's house.


To be fair, there are plenty of new toys there too.

A couple of gift highlights: Tia bought Evie her ballet clothes since Evie started ballet this week.  And I had my trike that I got for my 3rd birthday restored.




Evie's taken her trike out on a spin a couple of times, and Seth's teaching her how to know which foot to push when.



My brother and the kids called during Evie's party and Evie took the phone from me.  The conversation went like this:

Ryan: (presumably) Hi, Evie.
Evie: Hi, I wanna talk to Addie and Will.
Silence
Evie: Hi!  You're in Texas.
Silence, smiling (presumably they are singing "Happy Birthday")
Evie: You sing to me!  And I three now.
Silence
Evie (to Naomi who was playing near her): Shhhh, I talk to Addie and Will.
Evie walks away, like adults do to get out of a noisy room.
Evie: Uh huh.
Evie: I love you, I miss you.
Evie: Okay, bye!

I kinda started crying at that last bit.  I wish we were closer so we could see each other more often.

Some cute things from last week I forgot:
Every Thursday is water day at her new school.  On Thursday, Seth was putting Evie's swim suit in a plastic bag.  Evie says, "You have my suit case?"  I guess she could remember it had the word "suit" in it...

Her new school as a cockatiel in the office.  When I dropped her off one morning, she says, "Look, Mama!  A peacock!"  Again, grabbed onto one part of the word.

I told her it was hot in the car and we needed to turn on the air conditioner.  She replied, "And shampoo?"

I asked her how school was one day, she said "Evie (eh-vee) bit me!"  This happened at her old school in... ummm.... March?  February?

She goes to the nursery during the Sunday School hour and the nursery attendant, Miss Judy, turns on some music for her to listen to.  The other day, Evie started singing "Joshua Fought the Battle of Jericho".



And Seth made some chocolate milk for her the other day and she couldn't stop drinking it - she had it all in almost one gulp.


Yesterday was a busy day for Evie.  She had water day at school and so I suspect she was outside running quite a bit.  They got the kids down a little late for their nap and then Grannadaddy picked her up to take her to her first ballet lesson.  He said she did pretty well for the first two or three things they did and then got clingy.  She must have been very tired because later that night when I got home, she was already in bed.  Seth had told her not to pull his hair (she's not a saint, I guess) and she got angry and went off to her room and laid down on her bed like she sometimes does when she's gotten in trouble.  He left her there to cool off for about 10 minutes and then went to check on her and she was already asleep, with the blanket draped over her face.  I got home about 10 minutes later and went in to put on her night time pull up and pjs and she barely opened her eyes at all during the whole process, she was so worn out.  But when I started to sing to her, she hummed along and snuggled in tight.  I love that she's getting to experience the beauty of childhood - feeling emotions so deeply, going from one extreme to the next, everything is exciting and then it overwhelms you.  I love being part of the comfort she finds at the end of the day, when things wind down and you're back in your own cozy room, cozy bed, with your stuffed animals and your mama there to sing to you and tuck you in.  It just doesn't get any better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment