Monday evening before she went to bed, Evie had about 2 cups of milk within about an hour of bedtime. Normally we try to monitor her milk intake but she hadn't eaten much that evening and I figured if she was going to get calories from milk, that'd be better than no calories at all. So we let her drink to her heart's content, which may have been too much. Or maybe she was already feeling sick to her stomach which is why she didn't want any dinner. Either way, about 2 am Tuesday, I heard Evie crying. I thought it was just her usual problem with mid-night waking and that'd she'd go back to sleep, but when she cried out again with, "Mama, help!", I could tell from the tone in her voice that something was wrong.
I went in and she was sitting up in bed. I said, "What's wrong, baby?" She said, "Evie spill." I thought she had wet through her pull-up, but I didn't feel anything. I went to turn to the light on and then saw that she was pointing to the cuff of her pajamas where she had thrown up. Then I realized that it was all over her shoulder, hair, the blankets, the pillow, and the side of the bed. Lovely. I took her to the bathroom, pulled her clothes off and tried to figure out how to best undo the damage. Sadly, it could not simply be washed out of her hair at the sink, so she got a bath, and she was in a really good mood at that point. I threw her pjs and the sheets and pillow into the washer, got her new bedding and pjs, and figured that was the end of that. I was wrong.
I put her back down to sleep and tried to get back there myself. After an hour, I was almost back to bed, when I heard, "Mama, help!" from Evie again. Sure enough, she'd vomited some more. Fortunately this one didn't require a bath, but it did necessitate another change of pjs and sheets. I put her down again and decided to go sleep on the couch (since part of why I was having a hard time getting back to sleep was due to Seth's snoring, but that's another story for another day). Not half an hour later, another cry for help, another change of pjs and sheets and by this point it was 4 in the morning and I'd gotten only 3 hours of sleep since I went to bed so late in the first place. I decided to just cut my losses and brought Evie out to the couch after I cleaned her up. She and I slept on the couch - though she did most of the sleeping - without further incident. By this point I knew I couldn't and shouldn't send her to school so when it seemed like an appropriate hour I texted Grannadaddy and luckily he was available to keep her for the afternoon since Seth was already a week into the semester and Tuesday was my first day of class. Fortunately Evie was happy for most of the morning, even requesting Seth to feed her some breakfast while I caught a half hour nap in bed before he left for school, and other than crying for a few minutes after I dropped her off with Grannadaddy, she had a good day with no further illness or discomfort.
The rest of the week passed with no big interruptions in sleep or wellness. Evie has impressed me with her memory yet again. One of her Christmas presents from us was a placemat with a map of the world on it. Here she knows 6 countries (Russia, China, Brazil, Canada, Greenland, and Australia). Incidentally, since this video was taken, she's learned Argentina, India (where Grannadaddy is going next week, so she says, "Grannadaddy!" when she points to it), and America.
Tonight we went to celebrate Grandma Jeanne's birthday and in preparation for that, Evie sang "Happy Birthday" to her.
She's such a sweetheart!
No comments:
Post a Comment