Sunday, January 4, 2015

New Year Slumber Party

Happy 2015!  It's a new year and Evie got to ring it in by being asleep - of course!  But she got to stay with Granna and Grannadaddy because Seth and I spent New Year's Eve out with my friends from high school, which has been our New Year custom for the last 14 years (well, Seth joined us in 2004, so only 11 for him).  Granna reported that Evie had a good time, slept pretty well in the pack-n-play in Granna and Grannadaddy's room, and the following morning she was setting the table for breakfast and put out plates for Addie, Will, Aimee, and Uncle Ryan.



On Friday, Seth and I started painting Evie's room.  We have a certain theme in mind, so I won't give that away yet, but I will say that part of it is yellow.  Friday afternoon on our way home from daycare, I told Evie that Daddy was in her room painting it yellow.  I had helped too, and did some final touch ups while Evie was home, but she didn't really notice.  I did end up getting some paint on my arm, but I didn't shower because Olivia (aka Tia) came to spend the evening with us and I figured it would come off later.  So while chatting with Tia, I told Evie to tell Tia what color her new room was (she had seen it after it was dry) and Evie said, "lelo!"  I asked Evie, "Who painted your room?"  She said, "Daddy." And then she looked at me and saw the paint on my arm, squinted her eyes a little skeptically and said, ".........and Mama."  Observant little one.

She loves the color of her new room and Friday night when we went to go to bed, I told her she was allowed to touch the walls, but she couldn't touch the blue painter's tape because Mama and Daddy were still working on painting.  She lit up like I'd told her she could have ice cream and proceeded to touch the walls in as many spots as she could reach, saying, "Lelo!"


Before we went to bed Friday night, the three of us and Tia went out for pizza and then Tia and Evie played while Seth and I got some stuff out of the attic for Tia to take back to Ryan and Aimee.  When it was bedtime, Evie requested that Tia be the one to help her brush teeth, go potty and get into pjs, which is usually Daddy's job.  Evie still wanted me to put her down for the night, but after I laid in her in bed, she sat back up.  I said, "What is it, baby?"  She said, "Tia tuck me in?"  I love that Evie can tell what a wonderful person Tia is, even if they don't get to see each other too much.

Tia also helped me finish putting together the kitchen that Granna and Grannadaddy bought for Evie for Christmas.  It was quite a thing to put together, but Evie enjoys it so much!  She loves to make eggs, play with the timer, and wash her hands.  And this gives me more incentive to get her little playroom area set up so she can have enough space.



Grannadaddy had a birthday this week and we went to my parents' house to celebrate.  Prior to going, I told Evie we were going over to see Grannadaddy for his birthday and she started singing the birthday song.


One thing I forgot to mention last week was that as I was visiting with my parents and Evie was playing, I had my feet propped in the chair that Evie usually sits in at the dining room table.  At some point, Evie came over and started climbing in the chair.  She pushed my feet aside and said, "'Scuse me, feet."

I would say 2014 has been a good year for us.  We started out not knowing whether we were going to be able to do this crazy thing of Seth and me going to school, selling our house, moving to Memphis, affording to live, finding daycare for Evie...  And I would say it's worked out pretty well.  Evie got adjusted fairly quickly, and I know she is loving getting to spend so much time with her grandparents and the rest of the family.  She is learning so much in school.  I think, even though it was a big leap of faith for us and took some adjustment, we made the right decision for all three of us.  Hopefully 2015 will see fewer big changes in our lives, but we'll all continue to thrive here with the support of family and friends.  It makes such a difference to be surrounded by good people who are happy to help and who love you very much.

1 comment:

  1. Evie and I had a lovely New Year's Eve. We watched Pongo, of course, and then Berenstain Bears. We played a couple of games - our way if not by the rules. She had a couple of candies and a piece of cake. We were reading a book on the couch about 9:00 when she asked for ice cream. I told her that we had already brushed her teeth and that she had already had sweets, so maybe we needed to wait till tomorrow for ice cream. So she said, "Bed time" and headed for her Pack N Play in my room! It was that easy. I helped her settle into the bed, arranged the stuffed animals and her cover, said "Night night," and climbed into my bed. She shifted around a little bit, but in about 15 minutes, she was asleep and shortly after so was I! She slept till about 8:00 and we had eggs and muffins for breakfast, followed by tv and games and playing. It was a lovely sleepover.

    ReplyDelete