Sunday, November 23, 2014

Snowman

So, as we all know, commercialism of Christmas begins very early in most stores, especially the big ones.  Evie and I went to Target last week and as soon as we walked in, her eyes were drawn upward to the suspended cut-outs of Santa being pulled by eight flying reindeer.  Evie promptly said," Ohhhh!  Bambies!"  (She's been watching Bambi at Granna and Grannadaddy's lately).

Evie is very taken with the characters in the stories and movies we've been reading and watching.  She also very much enjoys singing along with the soundtracks to her favorite movies.  Currently her thing is that every time we get in the car she says, "I want Snowman............please".  (She's getting very good at talking in full sentences and using polite terms.  She sometimes has to be reminded to say please, but possibly too often says sorry to whomever had some kind of thing happen to them, whether Evie was the cause of their misfortune or not.)  So, she knows the Frozen, aka Snowman, soundtrack by heart and announces who is allowed to do the singing along with the soundtrack.  Mostly it's Evie, and she will make this clear by saying, "Evie sing the People song" (referring to the choral song at the beginning of the movie sung by a bunch of burly ice-cutting men).  She'll announce that "Evie sing Big Anna" (both Elsa and Anna grow from small girls to young women during the course of one song).  And she also says, "Evie sing Elsa" when she sings along to "Let It Go", the most popular song from the movie, and she also does many of the motions that Elsa does during that song.

The other day I was quite impressed when, during the duet between Anna and her love interest Hans, Evie said, "Evie sing Big Anna, Mama sing Prince Hans."  That's an awfully complicated sentence and concept to get across, but that's exactly what she meant.  She sang the female part of the duet and I sang the male part.  As an alto, a Disney fan, and an avid car singer, it made me so happy that she's interested in doing stuff like that.

The biggest news advancements we have going on, though, are in potty training.  Evie always seems to catch on to things over night, and potty training has been no exception.  In the last 4 days, I think I've only had to change one daytime diaper because she had used it instead of the potty.  Of course, overnight is a different story, but during the day she's very good about going potty and I recently made a magnet board with smiley face magnets that she can use each week and that seems to motivate her even more.  I am just glad that the people at daycare have been letting her attempt to use the potty for the last several months because I just didn't even have potty training on my radar enough to really explain and reinforce the concept.  Now that she's going consistently, it's a breeze.  Thanks again to Ms. Pam, her teacher, for taking the reins on this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment