On Friday after work and daycare, Evie and I went down to Memphis for the weekend. Seth stayed at home with the doggies so we were able to leave a little bit earlier and got there in time to get our hair cut by Jo who has been cutting my mom's hair for... a couple of decades maybe? I started going to Jo when I was 15. Both my grandmothers went to Jo, Seth goes to Jo, my Dad goes to Jo, Jo did my hair for our wedding - I mean, pretty much we HAD to have Jo do Evie's first haircut. So Evie and I met Granna at Jo's salon on Friday when we got into town. Evie did great with it. She didn't seem scared, just curious and interested in what was going on. Thanks to Granna for taking pictures.
Before:
The cut:
Styling:
Evie has her own ideas about how to style it.
After:
As you can see, I let Seth win in the battle over bangs mentioned previously. I didn't like them at first, and though they are growing on me, I will still maintain the opinion that bangs are hard to keep up, especially if you're only willing to get your hair cut by Jo who is 3 hours away, and that they aren't that well suited for Evie's face shape. (Jo agreed with me, for whatever that's worth.) But, I guess sometimes Daddies are allowed to get their way.
Saturday morning, Evie played and I spent a little time doing my regular review of my baby book to see what I was doing when I was Evie's age. I like knowing through the pictures and the notes my mom put into the book when I was walking, talking, cut teeth, etc. I was completely taken aback by one particular photo. If it weren't for the old car, I could honestly believe that this is Evie, not me.
Saturday afternoon we went to the Memphis Tigers football game. Evie did great most of the time! She enjoyed walking down the new Tiger Lane with her grandparents, looking at all the people, clapping to the music or with the fans when the Tigers scored a touchdown, and especially stealing Granna's hat.
After the game, we went home for dinner with Kathy and Grandma Jeanne. I was surprised that Evie didn't take her usual evening nap, but she stayed kinda wired through the evening. She enjoyed reading and climbing on the couch with Grandma Jeanne.
We stayed until Sunday and then drove back to Mt. Juliet, Evie sleeping almost the entire way. We are so glad for those weekends in Memphis.
I've scribbled down quite a few anecdotes from this week to share, so this will be a little disjointed, but it's just amazing how much cute stuff this kid does! So bear with me as I jump around from topic to topic.
Let's start with talking:
- Granna, Evie and I left the football game at halftime since Evie seemed to have reached her max for enjoyment of that sport for the day. She seemed interested in walking, so once we were out of the stadium, I held her hand while she walked. She walked for a good ways, probably 3/10ths of a mile or so, which is impressive for someone with such short legs! However, she let us know she was ready to stop by plopping down then saying and signing, "All done."
- Evie had to go back to the doctor's office this Monday because I had a pretty good suspicion she had an ear infection. (I was right, by the way. And that makes three in three months.) She toddled around the room for a bit, looked at the doctor's stool and rolled it around the room for a while, had some milk and a snack, read a few books, and then looked at me and said, "All done" and walked to the door.
- After she tried opening the door and it didn't work, she came over to me for comfort. This is the first time I've heard her clearly say, "Up!"
- I mentioned last week that she has started saying "Woof woof" when she sees our dogs or hears them barking. This week, I was very impressed when she was looking at a magnet of a dog (a golden retriever) at Granna and Grannadaddy's and she said, "Woof woof". She's never seen a golden retriever before, so I find it so fascinating that she can identify that as a dog.
- A few nights ago, Evie brought a book to Seth for him to read to her, but then she got a little distracted and started to toddle off. But he kept reading and mentioned the doggie on the page. And Evie did a double-take. Her first double-take!
- When my mom was expecting me, she bought these two stuffed dogs that came together in a set, hugging each other. You can separate their velcro arms and play with them individually, and then put them back together. (Her OB told her she might have twins, so she bought these dogs thinking that at least she'd be set if that were the case.) When I was about 2, I named these dogs Faster and Slowly... I don't know where that came from, but that's what they were named. They now live in Evie's room and Evie absolutely loves them, especially since she realized that they are doggies.
Last, a word on her particularness and on picking up routines:
- We've been brushing Evie's teeth for quite a while now. Evie's toothbrush hangs on a holder on the mirror in the upstairs bathroom, and usually I have been holding Evie on my hip while I get the toothbrush down, rinsed, prepped with paste, etc. But lately I've stopped holding her as much, in part because she wants to be down and walking and in part because it's throwing my hip outta whack, so when it comes to brushing teeth, I sit her on the counter with her feet in the sink so I don't have to hold her. I was amazed when on Sunday night, I set Evie down and she reached up, took the toothbrush out of its holder, ran it under the water, and started brushing her teeth! I told her she had to put toothpaste on first, and she mostly cooperated while we added the paste and I helped her brush. Then the very next morning, she did the routine again, but she waited for me to put the paste on. I was pretty impressed with the quick learning there.
- She seems to be very taken with the idea of washing her hands. All the time. Especially if she sees hand sanitizer. She will try to get the bottle, and then if you put it within her reach, she will hold her hand under the pump and then start rubbing her hands together. And any time she hears the word "wash" she starts rubbing her hands together.
- On her particularness: when I was giving her a bath the other night, I let the water run for a while, which she really enjoys. She likes to put the cup toys under the water and then pretend to (or sometimes actually) drink it. But after a while, it seemed like she'd gotten over that fascination because she headed down to the other end of the tub to play with the toys down there. So I turned the water off. She immediately looked back, looked at me, looked at the faucet, looked at me, pointed at the faucet and said, "Da!" I said, "You want the water back on?" She said, "Da!" I said, "Okay" and turned it on. And then she went back to playing with the toys at the other end of the tub.








No comments:
Post a Comment