Thursday, October 24, 2013

Moo!

Evie's had quite an exciting week.  Last weekend, my work was having a picnic/shindig at the Nashville Zoo, so we went and saw a section of the zoo we hadn't been to before: the farm.  They had horses and sheep and, most importantly, cows.  Evie stood for about a full minute with her mouth hanging open just watching these 3 Galloway cows (black with a white belt, nice and shaggy on the face).  She might have stood there all day if we hadn't picked her up to show her the pony.  She was mesmerized.

Best development story of the week: I was reading a book to Evie at the doctor's office on Tuesday (where she was getting checked to make sure her ear infection was clear - which it was) and the book had a cow in it.  I told her that the cow goes moo, so she said, "Wooooo".  So every time she saw the cow after that, she said "wooo".  Yay, another sound/word!  She can also now answer the questions of "Where are your teeth?" and  "Where are your nose?" by touching them, so I feel like we are on the cusp of the huge language acquisition that happens from 18-24 months.  So exciting!

Evie's week included a visit from Grammy and Ed who had been in Atlanta to see new baby Beverly.  The came in on Tuesday night and we had dinner and played.  Evie was particularly taken with Ed's dog, Rocket, who is a very beautiful and very large Bernese Mountain Dog/Akita mix.  He was very well behaved and clearly more scared of Evie than Evie was scared of him.


Evie is definitely enjoying exerting her own independence.  She has a knack for sneaking off and climbing on top of things or getting into things.  For example:


She knows she's trouble, too!

She apparently used this sneakiness to hide our digital camera from me.  Yesterday, I grabbed a pair of black dress shoes I haven't worn in ages that were at the bottom of my closet and as I went to put my feet in them, I found our missing digital camera in the toe of the right shoe.  I remember what happened now: the weekend she had Hand-Foot-and-Mouth disease, I was going to take her to the lake.  I had the camera in my pocket while I was looking for some sand-friendly flip flops and I took it out and put it on the bathroom vanity while Evie was pushing the buttons on the bathroom scale.  I guess at some point (probably while I was packing the flip flops and beach towel in our bag) she grabbed the camera and decided it would be happier in the shoe.  I had already decided I wasn't going to take it so I didn't think to look for it until much later.  Little sneak!

We've been enjoying the nice weather lately too.  Evie loves being outside and playing with the clover.  This week she also discovered the dandelions that have turned so you can blow the seeds away (whatever those are called...).  Here are my two favorite shots from our outside time this week.


Who could resist that super-cute face?!

No comments:

Post a Comment