Thursday, August 15, 2013

Bouffant, Bug Eyes, Books, and Blinds

Evie, Seth, and I went to Memphis for the weekend.  Unfortunately I forgot my camera, but rest assured that she had a great time with Granna, Grannadaddy, Grandma Jeanne, Kathy, Rickie, Cristaldawn and Matthew.  We also met some friends of mine for lunch on Saturday.  They were both pregnant (one of the babies was born on Tuesday!) and it was fun to remember those feelings of pregnancy being almost over and the many emotions that come with that.

Seth started his new job this week so I have now assumed daycare drop off and pick up responsibilities.  And I'll tell ya, it's kinda hard.  The rest of my department is in Princeton, so I try to be online by 7am since that's 8am in Princeton.  The problem is that that's about when Evie is waking up.  So this week, I've been logging in at 6am, getting Evie up at 7am, getting her dressed and fed and shuttled off to daycare by 7:45 so I can be back on the computer by 8am.  So far I haven't had to do this and go into the office.  I'm sure those days will be even more difficult.  But, we'll make it work.

Evie is still enjoying daycare.  She comes home with a new hairdo every day.  The teachers love putting her hair up in pigtails and little ponytails that look like a fountain on top of her head.  This is awesome until we have to take it down and she looks like a wild child:


This Sunday we introduce Evie to Rainforest Cafe.  We used to go there a lot when we lived in Santa Ana, since they have one at Downtown Disney outside of Disneyland (where we went almost every Friday).  They have one here at Opry Mills so we decided to check it out.  Evie enjoyed looking at all the animals and tolerated wearing her frog head crown:


One of my favorite things is Evie's new bedtime routine.  We have finally moved all of her clothes up to her room so she's no longer getting dressed for bed downstairs (which made sense until she started sleeping in her crib 6 months ago.  Okay, so we're a little slow in making these kinds of adjustments.)  So, the new routine is that she plays downstairs until she shows signs of sleepiness or until 8:30pm, whichever comes first.  Then she and Daddy read a book.  And this is absolutely my favorite moment of the day.  Evie tolerates me reading to her, but when Daddy reads to her, she is captivated, 100% attentive.   It's the sweetest thing to see them sitting together on the couch reading a book:


After a few books, she kisses Daddy good night, then I take her upstairs (Seth does it sometimes now, but usually it's me) and we brush teeth, the go into her room for diaper change, lotion, and pjs (since starting daycare, she is outside a lot more and seems to need the lotion on her legs).  Then, and this is the amazing part and I'm hoping I won't jinx myself here, she very cooperatively lets me rock her for a bit while I sing.  I think changing from humming to singing was a big part of her tolerance for this.  She used to fight being put to bed, but now she's very calm about it and usually doesn't fuss when we leave the room.  Maybe she just knows she needs the rest now so she can keep up with her friends at school.

Today when I brought her home, she was a little antsy, trying to climb up onto the couch.  This girl will climb anything...  I think her motivation was still blinds.  Here she is today, playing with the blinds.




Some things never change.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment