Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Evie's 27th Week

During her 27th Week, Evie got a lot of exposure to the holidays that happen this time of year.  On Friday, Syd wanted to go to temple, so the three of us accompanied her.  They were installing a new canter, so the service had a lot of music, which Evie loves, of course.  The ladies at the temple love children, and Evie made quite a splash.  She sat through most of the service fine, but got a little antsy when they started talking instead of singing.  But the ladies around us would turn to her and try to coax smiles from her.  I did take her out a couple of times and at one point she was sitting independently on the carpet which was bright blue and had small flowers in it that were interesting for her to look at, apparently.

On Saturday, Evie, Syd, and I went to pick out a Christmas tree.  It's the first year that we've had one of our own, since we usually do Christmas with my parents and get a tree with them, and though I usually like to support local tree farms, their mark-up made me cringe.  So we bought one at Home Depot.  Evie went in the tent with us to look for one.


Evie thinks we picked out the perfect tree!

That evening was the first night of Hanukkah, which Seth's side of the family has always celebrated, so we also did Hanukkah for the first time ever.  Evie got an adorable menorah of her own, seen here on the second night of Hanukkah.  It has cute little dinosaurs wearing various party hats and crowns on it.


Then, after lighting the menorah, we went upstairs to decorate the Christmas tree.  I've decided that one of the traditions I'd like to do with my kid(s) is get a new ornament every year with/for them.  At some point, Evie will be old enough to pick out her own, but this year I got to choose, so I thought I'd go with our peacock theme:



Here she is, checking out her ornament



This is the peacock themed tree Syd and I designed, with purple, blue and green balls, peacock feathers, peacock feather ornaments, and peacock colored berry branches.  Plus a few extra ornaments thrown in.
And with lights out.

On Sunday, Evie went with me to church to hear the choir Christmas cantata.  They sang the same cantata that we sang at First Presbyterian last year on Christmas Day, which was the day we announced our pregnancy to that congregation.  So it brought back good memories, and perhaps Evie recognized the alto line from being in utero because she was quiet and attentive the whole service.

Monday night, Evie started acting like she was ready to crawl.  I had her upstairs in her room where she could be on the carpet and have more traction and she understands she has the ability to scoot herself.  She just can't quite get her arms to hoist herself up while she bends her knees.  But I guess it won't be long.

Tuesday, she had a 6-month check-up with Dr. Vafai.  She weighs 16.5 lbs and is 25 inches long, so gaining weight and growing just fine.  We now need to reintroduce solids, which I'd decided to take away while she was having so many stomach problems.  So, we'll see how that goes.  I tried some solids on Sunday, and she had completely lost interest and the understanding of how to keep food in mouth (perhaps because she's working on cutting a third tooth).  Here was her reaction to the sweet potatoes:

Not impressed.

She cared much more about chewing on the spoon.

And yesterday was her Grammy's birthday, so I snapped a few pics of Evie wearing her cupcake shirt, post-doctor visit.  By the way, she took her four shots like a champ. our tough little girl.  Only whimpered at the third one, and screamed once at the fourth and then fell asleep in the car on the way home.







No comments:

Post a Comment