After a truly amazing Disney vacation, we're back to our usual routine. However, tonight, Evie was invited to come and speak with Ms. Erin, her newer ballet teacher, to explain her feelings about how ballet has been challenging this year and have input on what could be better. This is in follow up to my post a couple of weeks ago where Evie was feeling singled out and embarrassed. Erin wanted to have a chat with her to encourage Evie to speak up for herself and to empower her, and I was so grateful.
I thought it would be a 15 min chat or so, but we ended up being there for about 45 minutes. Erin started by asking Evie what she felt was difficult or making her feel icky about class. Evie said she felt like she was behind some of the other girls, and that she was getting corrected a lot. Erin explained that she always wants to give corrections because that shows that she is watching and invested in her students, but that she was aware that she had been giving corrections without letting Evie have a chance to get a move in her body, or multiple opportunities to try something, before being corrected.
She asked Evie what she liked about ballet, and Evie said some certain moves/positions that I certainly don't know, and she also said she likes when they have a chance to be creative. Erin asked her what she sees the older girls doing that she might like to learn herself and said they could work on those in the Friday class.
There was a lot more to it than what I've summarized here, but Evie came away feeling heard and understanding that Erin really cares about her, which I think will make all the difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment