This past Tuesday, Evie and I had the great honor of being at the adoption hearing of our friends and their new son who is 11 years old. I'm not using names for their privacy's sake, but this is a sweet couple who found this boy on an adoption site. He has had a rough go of foster care and was looking for his forever family, and they found each other. We drove down to the courthouse on Tuesday and watched him be adopted and then we went to brunch with the family to celebrate. Granna and Grannadaddy were there too. It was a very sweet morning.
Tuesday evening I told Evie she and I were going on a Mama/Daughter date. She asked me to tell her what half of it was going to be so I told her we were going to a restaurant with shrimp (her favorite food). Wednesday I got her home from school and she said, "Mama, tell me the other part of the surprise when we're at the restaurant. Or tell me now!" So I told her: we were going to see CATS. She was so excited and we had a really great time.
Friday, Evie and I drove down to Florida and Seth flew down that evening after work so we could attend my cousin Olivia's (Tia's) wedding. Evie played on her ipad the entire time we drove down, other than our brief stop for juice and gas and another stop for quick lunch. We got in about 4 pm and Evie jumped right in to playing with her cousins. That evening we were supposed to have a bonfire on the beach, but the wind didn't cooperate, and our visit with Ali's (Tia's wife's) family was cut short. We went back to Ryan and Aimee's house where we grilled out the hotdogs that were planned to be roasted over the fire, and we microwaved s'mores. One of the funny moments from that was when Ryan was grilling the dogs and he asked if people wanted to pick out their own, like when you pick you lobster at a seafood place. I said to Evie, "Evie, go pick out your hotdog, like a lobster." Evie threw her arms in the air and made claw hands and jauntily bounced out to the grill.
Saturday, we hung out until time for the wedding and then went to the beach for the ceremony. I cried, who's surprised. Evie wore the dress that Olivia wore to Ryan and Aimee's wedding, which was a sweet surprise for Tia, who got teary when she saw it. Evie enjoyed playing cornhole and playing in the sand after the wedding, and also making a terrarium to take home.
Sunday morning, my brother graciously agreed to get up with Evie and take her to the beach before we had to leave. We had to come home early-ish on Sunday so that Seth could do timesheet approval for his team (part of his new job responsibilities), and it didn't occur to me until we were ready to go and Evie was having to be pulled away from the beach that Evie could just ride home with Granna and Grannadaddy who were leaving a few hours after us. So that's what we decided to do. Seth and I got home around 4 and Evie got home about 9:30. It was a short, but really wonderful weekend.















No comments:
Post a Comment