Sunday, August 15, 2021

Back to School

Well, I can't believe we're finally going back to school in person, but here we are.  I'm worried about it because the Delta variant is worse for kids and our numbers here are going up.  At the same time, I'm worried about keeping her home and trying to find some other solution for her education.  When the pandemic started at the end of her second grade year, we were left with just resources to choose from and the burden of instruction fell on the parents.  We did NOT do well with this.  Evie was not motivated to get it done, didn't respond well to our approach at teaching her, and generally did the bare minimum, which is not the best she can do.  Home school is absolutely not a real option for us.  And our district is no longer doing virtual synchronous school.  They have a virtual option that has asynchronous learning, where students log in, watch a video, complete and assignment and then they're done.  To me, that's not an education, and it wouldn't keep Evie reaching her max potential.  So I feel like I have no real choice other than to send her to school and hope that the N95 mask I bought and the school protocols will keep her safe...  I'm already hearing from her that there are some situations that are not so safe, like how close they are sitting together in the cafeteria at lunch.  But I wrote the principal about that and they have already spread the kids out a little more, so I know they are trying their best.  Here's to a healthy and productive 4th grade year!



Walking in with Allyson (they are both wearing masks)

Look how she is social distancing!


No comments:

Post a Comment