Another week of virtual learning, but we also started back with the arts activities that Evie will enjoy for the next 8-15 weeks. Her ballet and tap classes are in person, but they are in a large room that used to be the sanctuary of a church, and attendance is limited and distanced, so I feel pretty good about that. She has a virtual theatre class in which she will help write the sequel to the video I shared a couple weeks ago. She really enjoys the writing class because she likes coming up with characters and names, and, as she says, the details and small stuff.
This Friday was the first tap class and Seth and I took her together on our way to run another errand. Seth walked her up to the door to wait, and when it got to be 2 minute past the start time, Evie said, "Oooooo, this is too late for my tastes." I laughed so hard when he reported that back to me.
Evie was a big help today when Siouxsie sliced open part of her toe. Siouxsie came back in from being outside and I noticed she had blood all over her back right paw. I'm not sure how she did it, but she had a big gash between two of her toes. I called for Evie, whose current occupational ambition is to be a veterinarian, and she grabbed the gauze from the first aid kit and helped me hold Siouxsie down while we cleaned and bandaged it. She'll make a great vet some day if that's what she decides to do. She certainly loves to pal around with Siouxsie and Edison.


We've been passing the time by playing a lot of video games, but this week Seth got us a new table top game called Fuzzies. It's sort of like Jenga in that you remove a piece of a tower and add it back to the top, but in this case rather than being pieces of wood, it's little fuzz balls. When you knock a fuzz ball off during your removal or placement, you get a penalty of different ways you'll have to remove your next fuzz ball. Evie's was having to remove them using an elephant trunk (holding her arm like a trunk)
Today we went to the new playground at school right before sunset. It was about 45 degrees and nearing dark so I thought there might not be many kids there, but I was wrong. None of the other kids wore masks either, and at first Evie said maybe we should play on the other playground instead, but we convinced her that we'd just stay apart from other groups and use hand sanitizer. She had a really good time.
I've been encouraging her to be more physically active and I invite her to do my workouts with me. She thought she might join me when I started my newest program yesterday, but she gave up about 3 minutes in because it was "too hard". I imagine it was actually just too boring. But she posed with me anyway.
Also, she lost her 13th tooth this week, another molar!
At church this year, they are starting a Prayer Partner program where each child and teen is being paired up with an adult and their only responsibility is to pray for one another. Our Children and Youth Director sent out a survey for the kids to fill out about themselves and the last question was about your prayer concerns. As Evie was answering the questions, I explained to her, "If someone was going to ask God to help you with something, what would you want them to ask Him to do?" She took a second and then said, a little teary eyed, "To help me get through this pandemic." I know that this has been hard on her, going almost a year now without being with other kids. I hope we'll be through with this soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment