Monday, March 13, 2017

Date #3, Spring Break

Today was back to school after a whole week off.  Monday, Evie and I hung out together and watched Moana, made boiled eggs, watered plants, colored, wrote notes to friends, and colored on the chalkboard wall.  It was too wet to go out to play, so we had to make do with our indoor tasks, but I think we did nicely.  Tuesday, I was working so Seth and Evie hung out until his dentist appointment and Evie went to stay with Granna at her office during his cleaning.  Mom shared the following stories with me:

Evie and I had a good time in my office with a doughnut and sweet tea.  Sorry for the sugar high!

Evie found a yellow stress ball in my drawer and was playing with it – bouncing and tossing it around.  As we walked through the garage to meet Seth, I told her that the type of ball was called a stress ball.  When she asked what that means, I said it was a ball that you can squeeze when you feel a little worried or nervous about something and that I give one to my students each year so that they will not worry or be nervous about taking tests. 

Her response;
Granna, you can tell them that they can take some deep breaths, and then they can tell themselves to just settle down.  I am going to have this ball if I get a little nervous when my Mama and Daddy are gone and I have a baby sitter.  I can squeeze it and not be a little worried.

Oh and our web person, Deb, commented on Evie’s shirt which had a swan on it.  Evie gracefully raised her arms as if she were going to dance.  Deb asked her if she was going to dance, and Evie replied, “No, I have seen Swan Lake, and I am not going to dance like that.” 

Everyone is amazed that she is only 4 and a half because of her polite conversation and responses to their questions.

I love hearing about Evie charming the hearts of others, and displaying her moments of brilliance.

Tuesday evening, we met with friends from church where all the kids got to eat free at Chick-Fil-A and play together on the playground.

Wednesday after I did some work, Evie, Seth and I went to see Desmond's family's new house and took Desmond to the park so his mom could get some unpacking done without interruption.  The kids had a picnic lunch of boiled eggs, fruit, cheese, nuts, and granola bars, and then played on the playground together for quite some time.  They did have one small incident where I noticed that Desmond was sitting by himself and Evie was pretending to be some kind of animal.  After they didn't interact with each other for about 3 minutes, I guessed that this wasn't part of the game and I advised Evie to go find out why Desmond was sitting by himself.  They talked for a few minutes and didn't seem to be resolving anything, so I asked what was going on.  Desmond wanted to play PJ Masks, but Evie was tired of playing that since that's the same game they always play.  I suggested they take turns playing what each other were interested in and Evie said, "Desmond doesn't want to do that, I don't think."  Desmond replied, "No, that would be fine with me."  So that resolved that.  I told the kids that I was so proud of both of them that they didn't scream and yell at each other, or stomp off, but resolved their problem quietly through talking and compromising.  It was pretty fun having the two of them together for a few hours.




Wednesday evening, our friend Martin came over and cooked dinner.  He let Evie help him by doing the shake part of the Shake-n-Bake method.  She enjoyed it and it encouraged her to eat her meat, and she even ate and enjoyed the Brussels sprouts he made.

Thursday, I was working at the school again, so Seth and Evie went to the Children's Museum.  We had dinner with Granna that night.  Friday, Seth and Evie spent the morning together while I was at work and then after a nap, Evie went to Granna's house to spend the night.  Saturday, I picked her up and took her to the Pink Palace where we spent about 3 hours wandering the exhibits and watching one of the IMAX movies.  Yesterday was church, including a 3 hour lunch with a huge group of church members afterwards, then a nap.  She helped me give the dogs a much-needed bath, and then we hung out and colored, had dinner, and tried to get back to a reasonable bedtime routine so we'd be ready for school today.

I wish our spring breaks had overlapped (mine is this week), but I think we did pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment