Another day this week I had her tell me every turn I needed to take to get to her school, and she could tell me the correct way 100%. I was pretty impressed.
On the way to ballet, she was using her magnet drawing board in the carseat. I heard her saying, "Now we are here. And here. And here" so I asked her, "Are you drawing a map?" "No! I drawing where is ballet." Perhaps she has a future in cartography.
This week, I had the pleasure of introducing Evie to some of the works of Rogers and Hammerstein. On Saturday before ballet, we watched Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella. The play version was at the Orpheum last month, but I wasn't sure that she's quite ready for a full-length play yet. She certainly did love the movie though and wanted to watch it again when we got home. Another evening this week, I got us a copy of The Sound of Music and as we were watching it I thought, oh this is kind of over her head. And it was. But she still enjoyed the music. She hasn't asked for it again though, and we only got to the end of "I Am Sixteen Going on Seventeen". I might let her watch another half hour this weekend. I know not all of it will be interesting to her, but I think she'll like the "Do a Deer" and "Lonely Goatherd" musical numbers.
Saturday I had to run errands at the mall and we met up with my friend Mia who walked around with us a bit. Evie went to the Disney Store, of course, and then I let her ride the carousel a couple of times.
She also got to ride in one of those things that costs a quarter and spins around. This one was a boat.
I'll record here for Evie's future knowledge that the Krech family has an interesting history with carousels. Melchior Thoni was my father's father's father's mother's father (that's Evie's great-great-great-great-grandfather). He was born in Brienz, Switzerland and immigrated to the US and made a living as a wood carver. He carved the animals for the first carousel ever seen in Tennessee. He also led the team of carvers who made the altar at Christ Church Cathedral in Nashville, TN, which I have visited quite a few times in my life.
Anyway, she had a really good time on the carousel and then went home for a nap and another viewing of Cinderella.
Sunday we had a birthday party to go to for Ivy who we don't get to see nearly as much as we did in Nashville nor as often as we'd like. Ivy's party was at a gym so the kids all had a great time using the equipment and running around like crazy. Evie was certainly in her element.
The rest of the week was pretty much par for the course. Evie and Seth get to hang out together on Monday and Wednesday nights while I have class. I miss getting to see her those evenings and I'm not looking forward to next semester when I'll have class on Monday and Tuesday nights. But I know it's good for the two of them to get some daddy/daughter time alone. Seth says they play hide and seek a lot - that's one of Evie's favorite things these days. She will tell, "You go count, I go hide" and run off. And almost as soon as you say "Ready or not, here I come" she yells "HA. HA. HA." from wherever she's hiding as a clue for you. I enjoy when she hides under blankets because I recall that when I did that playing hide-and-seek with my dad, he would put his hand on my head and say, "What is this, a Rocky Ford cantaloupe?" which is a line from a W.C. Fields movie. I now do the same to her. It's so fun to relive your own childhood through that of your child.





No comments:
Post a Comment