Friday, November 6, 2015

Halloween

Most of Evie's funnys from this week come from Halloween.  She started the day out at ballet where their teacher encouraged costumes, so she went as Ballerina Cinderella.

I know I'm biased, but is this child not gorgeous?!

Then we came home and had lunch and a nap so that we would be well-rested for the Tigers game that night.  As we did last year, like all good Tigers fans, we spent Halloween night at the football game (though last year our team wasn't ranked and this year we are 8-0 and #13 in the country!  Go Tigers Go!).  There were lots of tailgaters there early so we took Evie's pumpkin and went trick-or-treating down Tiger Lane.  She had a great time and the candy kept her pretty occupied during the game.  She went as Tigger, of course, as she did last year.  Same costume, but I had to undo all the tacking I had done last year so that it would fit her right.  She has grown a LOT!

She wasn't interested in posing with Pouncer (the mascot) this year, but loved seeing Tom the Tiger.

During the game she was eating candy as the Tiger players took the field.  When they come out, there are a series of flames and fireworks launched.  Evie stuck out her tongue in disgust and said, "Bleh!"  I assumed there was something wrong with the candy she was eating, but she followed it up with, "I don't like fire.  It's bleh-wy."

I also enjoyed her response when I told her we would be leaving at half time.  "What's half time to me?"  The existential question....

Sunday night we went to eat with Cristal, Matt, and Baby Nathan for Cristal's birthday.  We had a red velvet cake and Evie requested the red rose icing, which she devoured but not without getting some on her lips.


This week Evie learned a bit of a hard lesson about being on time.  We try to give her enough time every morning for breakfast, getting dressed and a little bit of play, but it seems like no matter what time she gets up, she just won't cooperate with us when we ask her to go potty and get dressed.  And I get it, I mean, I don't like to get ready to leave the house either.  But we keep telling her that if we're late she's going to miss circle time at school.  And unfortunately that finally happened on Wednesday.  She didn't miss all of circle time, but she did miss the first 8 minutes before we even walked in the door and I kept her out in the hallway and showed her through the window that she was missing the time with her friends singing and learning.  She ended up getting extremely distraught, which was not my goal, but I guess it registered with her because Thursday she was super-cooperative and kept saying she didn't want to miss circle.  So I guess she got the message.  Sometimes we have to learn the hard way...

Last night I picked her up from my parents' house (Grannadaddy kindly got her from school for us) and she threw a fit because I wouldn't carry her upside down all the way to the car (which was because I was afraid I wouldn't have a good enough grip on her not to drop her, not because I'm a terrible monstser of a Mama which is what I suspect Evie thought).  I let her have a tantrum in the driveway for about 5 full minutes and then I told her I'd had enough and to get in the car.  She was in quite a fit as I put her in the seat and drove her home and I told her since she didn't cooperate with me we'd have no TV that night and she'd have to go to her room for 10 minutes.  Well for the first 5 minutes she was screaming her head off and then she got quiet.  After the 10 minutes was up, I went in to check on her and found her doing exactly what I thought she needed to do: sleeping in her bed.  We let her get a 30 minute nap and she was the sweetest, most cooperative child for the rest of the night.  I mention this because I think it's incredible how well Evie holds her own in her Montessori classroom where she is the youngest child, goes to gymnastics afterwards with 4 and 5 year olds, and is generally always expected to behave at a pretty high level of maturity.  I'm reminding myself that she is, after all, only 3 and still needs plenty of sleep, rest, and snuggles.

She stole Daddy's hat at the restaurant we went to after her nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment