Sunday, July 26, 2015

Evie and Tom

This week has been a little rough with Seth still recovering from surgery.  It's been a pretty rough go and I admit I am worn out.  It's finals week for me and I have two presentations and two finals, but I haven't gotten more than 5 hours of sleep (and no more than 3 hours at a time) since last Saturday night.  Between Evie waking up at 4am every morning wanting to have something done with her blankets - tucking in or taking off - and getting up every 3 hours to give Seth his medicine (which, of course, doesn't coincide with the 4 am Evie call), I'm exhausted.

But one of the nice things that happened this week was that our friend Tom came to visit.  Tom was at Vanderbilt in Seth's cohort and we would get together fairly regularly when we lived in Nashville, but we haven't seen him in a year so it was nice to catch up.  He exposed Evie to a whole new set of vocabulary words like "microorganisms".  On our way to a restaurant, Evie noticed the rainclouds and said, "A storm is coming!"  Tom said, "Did you know, Evie, that there are microorganisms that live in the clouds and they-"  "It's not wake up time!" Evie interrupted.  I always get a kick out of it when adults (and particularly this seems to happen with men) try to engage kids in high level of conversation and the kids interrupt with some off-topic answer.  Ryan and Addie do this and it cracks me up.  I was impressed at how comfortable Evie was with Tom, and vice-versa, considering that she hadn't seen him in so long.

Post-ballet pictures with Tom

One of my favorite things from this week was when Evie, who has noticed, of course, that her Daddy is not feeling well, explained to me how she was going to make him feel better.


Funny language stuff, because it's my favorite thing:
  • Talking to Evie about ballet, I ask her, "Do you remember what chasse means?"  Evie says, "The Battle of Jericho?"  (I guess chasse sounds like Joshua)
  • Telling her she'd be going to Granna's house later that night.  Evie says, "That's gonna be riffical!"
  • Getting ready for church, she pretends to have a miniature Addie and miniature Will in her pockets and takes them to go potty, sets them on the floor during her turn, and moves them to the sink so they can wash hands and brush teeth with her.  She repeats the same thing at bedtime with mini ChuuChu, mini Edgar, and mini Herbie.
  • Asking Grannadaddy to push her little chair up to the little table so she can eat her yogurt, "Granadaddy, close me."  (with an "s" at the end, not a "z", as in a verb form of closer)

1 comment:

  1. I picked Evie up today, and she ran to me with a big hug. She said, "Mama told me Danna." This meant, "Mama said Granna would pick me up." As we walked down the sidewalk to the car, she said, "I so happy you pick me up." That's enough thanks for anyone! Lately, she is enjoying bubbles in our backyard and playing on the Twister mat our own version of the game. She is a sweet girl who pays a lot of attention to people's and characters' expressions. "Why is Beast sad, Danna?" "Why are laughing" of the scene when Pongo knocks Roger and Anita in the pool. She is fun!

    ReplyDelete