It's been such a busy week around here! We are getting ready to sell the house (not sure if I've mentioned before on this blog, but we are moving to Memphis) and we have been on the go nonstop! Poor Evie would've been so neglected if it weren't for her wonderful grandparents and daycare. Last week I was saying that Evie was still having a little bit of a hard time adjusting to her new classroom. Well Friday of last week was her 5th day there and her first day to not cry at drop-off so I was very pleased. She's been pretty good about it this week too, only crying one day when I think she must have thought it was a non-school day because we didn't get to daycare until much later in the morning than usual.
Friday Evie had quite a surprise when Granna came in the door around 6pm. Granna graciously offered to drive up to watch Evie for us while Seth and I worked on rearranging the house and getting it ready to show, so she arrived after work on Friday. Granna came in and sat down and about 5 minutes later, Evie grabbed her socks and shoes and asked to put them on. I guess she figured if Granna was here it was time to go somewhere and she was definitely going to go wherever Granna went! Maybe she thought she was getting to go to Memphis again. We laughed about that for quite a while.
We had dinner and Evie was all about Granna. Granna had to put on her socks and shoes, Granna had to put her in the car, Granna had to walk with her at the restaurant, and Granna had to sit beside her. Evie's a big Granna fan, which is good because she didn't see much of anyone other than Granna for the rest of the weekend. Seth and I were on the go, in the attic, or moving things around the house for most of the day on Saturday, so Granna and Evie played, went outside, and watched Cinderella which is one of Evie's new favorites. Sunday was similar with Seth and me working in the house most of the day, though we did call it quits around 2pm - we both needed some time to rest over the weekend. Granna slipped away after Evie took her nap and Evie wasn't too terribly upset that Granna wasn't there when she woke up.
Evie got another surprise on Tuesday night when Grannadaddy showed up around dinner time. He was in town to visit with a church member so we were glad he was able to stay with us overnight. Wednesday morning, Grannadaddy got Evie out of bed and read several books to her before we went downstairs for breakfast. Then he played with her in the yard while I loaded up some things in his car - I'm sending anything I can on to Memphis folks now - and Evie handed him some clover flowers. I'm told she did this with Granna over the weekend too. As usual, I failed to get a picture of Evie and Granna, but I did get this one with Grannadaddy.
When we told Grannadaddy goodbye, Evie said, "Love you" which is the first time I've heard her say that ever! So sweet!
Other fun anecdotes from this week:
I discovered on Friday that Evie knows how to count to four. I had counted four last bites of oatmeal for her before she went to daycare and when I picked her up in the afternoon, while we were playing with something, she counted. I have to initiate it with, "One and then what?" but she follows it up with "two, fee, four".
When we're in the car and Evie wants a snack, she asks me for cookies (tuh tees). One day this week when Seth and I were both in the front, she requested cookies and Seth asked her how many. She said, "Two." So Seth put two cookies in the cupholder to her right, like I usually do, and then Evie said, "Other side?" So she got cookies for her left cupholder too. It was charming.
Evie is much closer to singing "Baa Baa Black Sheep". I love being able to gauge her speech development based on that song. She now sings, "baa baa ba shee, aaa aaa aaa aa uhl; essuh essuh ......... one... masmas, one..... ame, one.... ane, baa baa baaa shee, aaa aaa aaa aa uhl; essuh essuh ..... uhl." If that makes any sense... But it's much more of the song than she's ever sung before. She pulled out one of the cookbooks I had in a stack to be boxed up and started singing Baa Baa Black Sheep and I had no idea why. She was flipping through the pages, singing away, as though she was telling herself a story. Then I looked at the cover and it all made sense.


No comments:
Post a Comment