Starting with the weekend: My friend Shelley recently moved to Evansville, Indiana because she took a job at my company. Evansville is about 3 hours from Nashville, so we decided to meet in the middle, which turns out to be the middle-of-nowhere, aka Hopkinsville, KY. On Saturday morning, Evie and I left home around 9:30 and drove the hour and a half up to Hopkinsville. She was awake for the first half hour, and we talked about the cars and trucks going by, and then she fell asleep for the rest of the drive up there.
We met up with Shelley (who Evie calls Shel Shel) and found a playground for Evie to play on. She loved going down the slides and playing on all the big kid equipment, even though it made me really nervous.
After a while, we went to lunch. Evie wasn't really interested in eating anything, especially since she decided that my thousand island dressing was actually yogurt, which is something she loves, but was sorely disappointed when it turned out to not be yogurt. I did finally convince her to eat a piece of cheese pizza, and that went over well.
We headed out after lunch to an antique store we'd passed along the way and then to the playground conveniently located across the street. This was the highlight of the trip for Evie, I think. She loved picking up the rocks and putting them on the other side of the wooden beams that surrounded the swingset area. This playground had swings that were made for her age, and she liked swinging with me next to her. And she enjoyed going down the slides (again). (Side note: when I pick her up at daycare, if they are outside, she's always on the tiny toddler slide - always. I asked her teacher if that's all she does out there and her reply was, "Pretty much if we're inside, Evie is always reading, and if we're outside, she's on the slide." Creature of habit.)
After the playground, we went to a quilt shop that was adjacent to a bookstore. Evie, of course, found the way into the bookstore and made herself at home with the books in the children's section. They had a cute little reading area with a table and chairs for kiddos, so we sat there and read a couple of books. I told her she could pick out one, though we ended up with two: a story about Elmo and a Clifford book. Those kept her entertained for the half-hour she was awake on the drive home.
Sunday the weather was going to turn from rather pleasant to a yucky winter storm, so we took advantage of what little time there was to enjoy being outside. It was Seth's suggestion, actually, to go the park. Even though it was Charlie Daniel's Park which is usually crawling with people, I guess we were the only ones brave enough to venture out in the impending winter weather, so Evie had the run of the place. She, of course, headed straight for the slide. But she did enjoy the swings some too.
It started raining after we'd been there about 10 minutes, so we packed up and went home for lunch and a nap. Later that evening, we went to Target for a few things and Evie picked out her first toy. Well, she picked out two, really. She loved this tiny little $3.50 baby and the milk bottle that came with it. She carted it around the toy aisles while we looked for other things (I was actually looking for something Winnie the Pooh related but didn't find anything). At one point, she had her eye on this Lady and the Tramp Little People set, with both dogs and the table of spaghetti, so she walked around with that in one hand and the baby in the other for a bit. But we decided she only needed one so when asked whether she wanted baby or doggies, she chose baby. She loves that thing! She sets it on the her little picnic table at home to feed it snack and it now has to go in the car with us.
I personally think that it's really cute that she picked the baby because, according to Granna, when I picked out my first toy it was a baby. It wasn't a plastic one, it was actually made of fabric and stuffed, but you guys know I'm a sap for the sentimental ways in which Evie and I are alike.
Sunday night, we decided to watch a movie that was Evie-friendly, so we bought the new Winnie the Pooh movie. She loved it. Here we are having movie night together.
Monday morning we woke up to some ice and snow, and Evie's daycare was closed. Turned out to be a good thing anyway because she was sick with a cold. Seth's work was closed too so the three of us got an extra day together. We played with Evie's new toy (not something she asked for, but we thought it was really cute, the "Fisher-Price Little People Disney Princess Klip Klop Stable Play Set" - say that 3 times; we read lots of books, especially the "Baa Baa Black Sheep Book" (Evie will even sing along - she says "Baa, baa, baa, baa"); and took a bath. She was so exhausted/sick at nap time that she does something she never does: she fell asleep on my shoulder.
I kept taking her temperature throughout the day and she became fascinated by the idea of turning the thermometer on and putting it under her arm. She wasn't a cooperative patient, though, and wouldn't let me keep her wrapped up.
By Tuesday, she hadn't been fever-free for 24 hours so she couldn't go to school, but she was feeling much better:
She had a good day back at school yesterday. I mentioned last week how amazed I am by her memory. We hadn't been in the car with her since Sunday morning, so on Wednesday I was so impressed when she got in and asked for Elmo - the book we'd bought in Hopkinsville on Saturday, which had been in the car since we bought it. She read some Elmo on the way to daycare Wednesday and I was even more amazed when she asked for "woof woof", by which she meant the Clifford book that we bought with the Elmo book. She's a sharp one.
She says a bunch of words now, including several verbs like walk, eat, and, my personal favorite, wash. She will say "wash" when she wants to wash her hands, or when we're talking about giving her a bath (she also says bath (bas)), or when there are pictures in books of people using water, including being in the swimming pool. Here's a clip of her saying "wash". I wanted to get her mouth on camera because a love how she changes the sh (/ʃ/) sound into a combo th & s sound (/θs/), but she didn't want to cooperate.











No comments:
Post a Comment