Thursday, March 20, 2014

Derby Hats

Over the weekend, Evie and I went to Memphis and left Seth and the dogs at home.  It's a lot of hassle for all of us to go if we want to get there at a reasonable time.  If we all go, I usually drive Seth to work (drop Evie off on the way), and drive back which takes a total of 2 hours, and then I have to load everything and the dogs, and then get Evie, and then drive to Franklin to get Seth at 4:30 and we still don't make it in until about 8 or 8:30, plus we have all the dog crates and food and water bowls.  Whereas when it's just me and Evie, I just pick her up from daycare early and we get in by 6.  However, this time I wanted to get her bangs cut so I took a half day off from work and picked Evie up at noon, so we were in Memphis by 3 considering that there was no traffic.

Since Evie's appointment wasn't until 4pm, Evie and I stopped by the Big House to see my Grandma.  I love that Evie now calls Grandma Jeanne "Jeanne".  Evie entertained us, both in the cute ways of singing along to "Baa Baa Black Sheep" and playing with toys, and in the way that she had me chasing her all over the house because she wanted to explore.  My aunt's poor cat Pooka must have thought it was the invasion of the little people when Evie strode into the bedroom.  She shrieked at her discovery of a living creature and was determined to make it up onto the bed where Pooka was lounging.

Evie did well at her haircut appointment.  Much better, even, than she did the last time.  She didn't warm up to Jo this time until the end, but fortunately my mom met us there so Evie was content to sit in Granna's lap while I stayed nearby.  After that was over, Evie and I got in our car and Granna got in hers so we could meet back up at my parents' house.  Evie was so upset that Granna wasn't with us.  She kept calling for Granna, which, incidentally, she pronounces as "dɛdɛ" (think of the ɛ sound as the e in bed).  Fortunately she calmed down after a few minutes and we had an uneventful rest of the ride.

We had dinner with Granna and Grannadaddy ("daddy" as Evie says) and played for a while.  Evie and Granna read some books and I think she even wormed her way into watching "Lady and the Tramp".  She originally wanted to watch - you guessed it - "Winnie the Pooh", but my parents only have VHS tapes and we discovered that one of their two VCR/DVD combo players has a faulty VCR when it severed the "Winnie the Pooh" tape.  So, "Lady and the Tramp" it was.

On Saturday, Evie, Mom, and I decided to go shopping in the late morning.  Evie had fallen asleep on the car ride to the shopping center so she wasn't entirely cooperative during the trip, but we still had fun.  We went to Carter's first because I've been looking for an Easter hat for Evie to wear, but we didn't have any luck there other than a package of floaty bath ducks that Granna bought to replace some of the bath toys at her house.  We went over to Target and got a DVD copy of "Winnie the Pooh", a little toy pug, a pair of kids' sunglasses, an Easter hat and a play hat.  So everything we bought that day was for Evie.  She loved the hat and still enjoys wearing it around the house.

Accessorizing with hat and glasses


This was her St. Patrick's Day get up.

On Saturday afternoon, Grandma Jeanne and Kathy came over and then Cristaldawn and Matthew came later in the evening, so Evie enjoyed visiting with them.  Granna put Evie to bed successfully that night.  Sunday morning, Evie enjoyed watching "Winnie the Pooh" and I managed to catch only a snippet of how she acts out the "Little Black Raincloud" song.




Then we went to church and this was the first time in a while that I haven't taken Evie to the nursery after the Children's Time.  She started crying during Children's Time because, I think, she knew that she was about to have to go to the nursery, and I didn't want to have her be that upset, especially since she had fallen asleep in the car on the way to church and seemed particularly needy that day.  So we stood in the hallway for a while instead and eventually went back into the sanctuary.  We had a bit of luck in that when we first arrived, there were small strips of green and red tissue paper sitting on our seats (just ours, so I don't know what it was from), so we got two styrofoam cups and Evie enjoyed putting the strips into one cup and pouring them into the other.  That entertained her for a while, and then she flipped through the hymnal and the Bible for the rest of the service.  After church we headed to the Big House for lunch and then left a little before 2.

So, I just want to remark on how interesting it is to me that Evie has distinct names for three different people: Granna, Grannadaddy, and Daddy.  Other people might not be able to tell the difference, and sometimes I have a hard time understanding out of context, but here's how it goes: We've been referring to Seth as "DaDa" (/dædæ/), like the a in apple, so that's what Evie calls him.  Grannadaddy, as I mentioned earlier, is shortened to "daddy", which makes sense because Evie's only able to produce words with one or two syllables at this point.  Granna, like I said, is "dɛdɛ", and this makes sense in two ways: one is that the g sound develops later and is usually substituted with a d, and the repetition, or reduplication as the process is known, of syllable sounds is typical of children until age 3 (think of kids saying wawa for water or baba for bottle).  Even though Evie can say the n sound (nana for banana, nigh nigh for night night), I don't think she yet has the ability to go from a d sound back to the n, and the n sounds she does make are all in words that have natural reduplication in them.  Sorry, just a little SLP talk here.

So, the rest of the week has been fairly uneventful.  Apparently something was in the air at daycare yesterday because Evie bit twice, but there were three other biting incidents and the teacher said all 5 happened within one hour.  Fortunately the bites weren't deep enough to get Evie another threat of being kicked out, and hopefully she was just reacting to whatever was going on that set everyone else off too.

I was impressed tonight when I noticed her bitemark still there and I asked her who bit her.  She didn't answer me so I went through the names of the kids in her class, and she actually can say them all (well, her version of them).  When I got to David, her little eyes lit up and she was much more animated about saying his name than anyone else's, so perhaps she has a little bit of a crush.  Or maybe they're just good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment