I know it's not Thursday yet, but I have to do the blog post today because I have a feeling we'll be too busy tomorrow, which is Thanksgiving. I honestly have no idea where this week has gone. It seems like we just got back from Oregon a few days ago, and I have been so out of it that I've forgotten to take any pictures or video of Evie this week.
Thursday, which was our biggest jet-lag day, Evie had an appointment to see the ENT doctor. She was evaluated for ear tubes. Their standard recommendation is to put tubes in if there are 3 ear infections in 6 months or 4 or in a year. She's had 4 in 4 months, so obviously it was recommended to use that she get tubes. After the doctor went through all the benefits and risks, I said, "Sign me up." I don't want to keep having to give Evie antibiotics, I don't want her to feel bad for a week every month like she has since starting daycare, and the doctor said ear infections are even more common and persistent during the winter months. Sold! So, she'll be having surgery in a few weeks, which is kind of scary, but I know they do these things all the time and she'll be fine.
The good news is that he felt like her speech development hadn't been affected (which I kind of knew but it was good to get a professional opinion). In fact, Evie is saying more and more words every day. The nurse asked me how many words she says and I honestly couldn't count... So I thought I'd do a little word/sound inventory.
Evie can say (or closely utter, such that it's understandable): yeah, no, Mama, Dada, milk, more, all done (counts as 1 utterance), thank you (also just 1 utterance), buckle, banana, nose, knee, uh-oh, woah, and she substitutes woof-woof for doggie. She also knows sounds for: bear, lion, dog, cat, horse, cow, chicken, duck, bird, turkey, rooster, monkey, pig, sheep, goat, frog, and rabbit. And she can identify: head, foot, knee, elbow (learned this weekend), hair, nose, on herself and on other people. So, 15 words, 17 animal sounds, 6 body parts, and a partridge in a pear tree. In other words, totally normal development for a 17 month old. Yay!
Sunday we met up with my aunt Kristy and family for lunch as they were making their way to Memphis. We had a great time visiting with them - it's so fun to watch those kiddos grow up.
Other than that, the weekend and week was business as usual and kind of chill. We'll be heading out tonight for Memphis to spend Thanksgiving with the family. Seems like a long time since we were there last, I guess because we had a cross-country trip last week. Hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving!
No comments:
Post a Comment