I am amazed at how different Evie is after only 6 days. When I left, she had an ear infection and was therefore kinda grouchy and wouldn't eat much; she mostly crawled; she chatted some but not often. It seems like everything changed in the time I was away: her ear infection cleared up and she has turned into a great eater (even ate chunks of pot roast last night without having to hide the meat in some kind of bread or beans), she walks almost all the time, and is talking so much! On Sunday morning, my first morning back with her, she pointed to me repeatedly during breakfast and said, "Mama, Mama, Mama." It melted my heart.
One of the things that she does that has always cracked me up is the way she asks for more food. Yes, she does the sign for more, but she'll also open her mouth really wide and make this noise... Kind of gasping, kind of saying "ah" at the same time. Here's some video:
Eating apples and honey on Rosh Hashanah
Typical mealtime
Sunday was a beautiful day here in Nashville so we went to the zoo. They had opened a new exhibit where you can go in with the kangaroos and pet them if they come to you. You have to stay on the concrete path, of course, but interesting fact about kangaroos is that they don't see very well. So, they'll set off hopping from one part of the enclosure to the other, not realizing there's a human standing right in the course they've chosen until they get about 2 feet away. And then they kind of freak out and suddenly change direction. It's pretty hilarious. Evie loved looking at the kangaroos and would talk to them and hold her hands out to them. One kangaroo even positioned herself by the exit so that people could pet her on their way out. Apparently, that roo is a people person.
Talking to roos
Petting the roo
Evie started in her new classroom at school this week. She's one of the youngest in there, but she seems to enjoy it quite a bit. There are only 4 other kids in there now, at least one of whom was in class with her in her old classroom. She isn't quite as comfortable with her new teachers yet, so there is a bit of crying when I drop her off, but I know she'll warm up to them soon. She's certainly happy when I come pick her up, and the teachers have already commented on how easy-going and good-natured she is.
Yesterday she had a combo visit to the doctor: follow up on the ear infection/15-month check up. The last time we went (two weeks ago) was supposed to be her 15-month checkup but because she had an ear infection, they couldn't do her shots. Yesterday, she was all clear. I'm kind of glad we waited until yesterday because two weeks ago they didn't have the flu shot yet, but they had it yesterday, so she got 4 vaccinations in one go, which, in my opinion, is better than having to come back again to get the flu shot at another time. She was such a trooper! She didn't cry at all on the first two shots, did cry on the third (which, the nurse said, was the one that burns), cried a little on shot #4, but then was more intrigued by the band-aids that the nurse was putting on and stopped crying completely, focusing instead on taking the band-aids off. And not even a tear after that. In fact, when I was waiting at the window to make her 18-month appointment, she smiled and chatted with the office manager. I mean, is this kid golden or what?!
Post-shots
Two weeks ago, when they did her 15 month measurements she was 23.8 lbs (66th percentile), 31 inches (35th), and head circumference of 47.75 cm (92nd). Yesterday, she was up to 24.5 lbs! She gained .7 lbs in two weeks, which is great considering that her previous visit, which was only 2 and a half weeks prior (i.e., about a month ago), she'd only gained .3 lbs. I'm so glad her appetite is back!
One last memory to capture from this week: wonderful Aunt Aimee sent us tubs and tubs of clothes, so I organized them all on Sunday and was so glad to find a bag full of size 5 shoes because we only had 2 pairs. So I set the shoes and socks into a small rubbermaid container in the living room for easy access on our way out the door. On Sunday night, Evie spent about half an hour bringing me shoes to put on her feet. She would walk over with one shoe and I'd put it on, then she'd go find the matching shoe, bring that over, and get me to put that one on. I was so impressed how she seemed to almost always find the matching shoe out of about 7 pairs of pretty similar shoes.
And I realized that I forgot to share this adorable footage from bathtime a while ago:


No comments:
Post a Comment