This post is coming a little late due to a personal injury I suffered on Saturday. I was making ratatouille, using the mandoline, and when I went to push the last piece of eggplant through, my thumb slipped off the guard (yes, I was using the guard) and got sliced pretty good. I screamed, Seth yelled "WHAT?!" and as I ran water over it and saw blood coming out all the way from the side of my thumb through to the fingernail, I yelled, "I need to go to the emergency room." He shot up off the couch, told Evie to put some shoes on, got the dogs in their crate and was ready to go. I've never seen him move so fast. I decided, though, that it would be better if Granna could come stay with Evie. Evie came out of the hallway crying, and said, "Mama, I got you a band-aid." It was the sweetest little voice, so gentle and concerned. I told her, "Thank you baby, but it's gonna need more than a band-aid, I need to go to the emergency room," and that was the moment Granna answered her phone so before she even said hello, she heard me say I had to go to the emergency room. I went and got myself into the car before I passed out (I don't do blood well.... like.... at all). And on the drive there, I called Evie on our Alexa and talked to her until we pulled up to the hospital, which coincided perfectly with when Granna got to our house.
This blog is about Evie and not me, so I'll just say that after nearly passing out in the waiting room (my BP was 91/39 and heart rate was 43), they got me all sutured up and taken care of and out the door by 8 pm, about 3 hours after we got there. Evie and Seth came to pick me up and we got Wendy's for dinner since I wasn't about to touch the ratatouille again (even though I did make it with Seth's help the next day because the vegetables were already completely sliced). I hope Evie isn't too traumatized from the experience. To be completely honest, I am. I have had some crying fits at random times, and that makes me feel pretty silly because it's not like I actually whacked my thumb off or even injured myself permanently. According to both my ER doc and my ER doc brother, I'll probably just have a weird spot in my nail bed and everything else will be back to normal. But, truthfully, I have had a hard time getting the experience out of my mind and then calming myself about it. Maybe it's just one of those last straw things, where I've already been so overwhelmed with work and SLP stuff and business stuff and pandemic changes.... Or maybe it's because it's limiting my daily activities right now - it's hard to lift weights, cross stitch, cook, fold clothes, make the bed, open things, sign my name, etc. with my thumb as it is right now. We are going to Florida this upcoming weekend and Ryan will take out my sutures and maybe then I'll feel better about it all.... Also the OTC pain medicine is making my stomach hurt, and I'm not getting more than 5 hours of sleep in a stretch, if that, because after I wake up to take the medication, I have a hard time shutting off my thoughts. But anyway, didn't I mention this blog was about Evie and not me? Back to her...
Before all the thumb drama, we had a pretty good start to the weekend. We went to the drive in on Friday night to see "Raya and the Last Dragon" which was really cute. We learned from our previous drive in experiences that Evie can't see so great from the back seat, so we brought a pillow for her to sit on the console between us and the three of us enjoyed snuggling and sharing popcorn and candy. That girl can put away some popcorn!


No comments:
Post a Comment