Saturday, October 3, 2020

The Truth About Magic

 I need to catch up with a story that I forgot to share a few weeks ago.  When my parents were at our house for our evening outdoor, physically distant meal together, Evie came out wearing her Elsa costume she got at Disneyland when we went for Halloween time a couple of years ago.  When she got that costume, she had a photo shoot afterwards, and the women who took her pictures had her do a little magic where she would wave her hands and the lights would dim.  They informed her that this would work when she was wearing her costume, but only if a parent was in the room with her, and only if she had her back to her parent.  Thanks, Disney peeps....  Over the years, she has frequently donned her Elsa gown and demanded that Seth or I watch her do the magic.  This is problematic in several rooms in our house where the light switch clicks when it's turned on or off, so her magic has been restricted only to certain rooms, and as she has gotten older and more suspicious, we have moved this magic act only into the master bedroom where there is a remote control for dimming the lights.  So, on this evening a few weeks ago, Evie came out with her Elsa costume on and wanted to show her trick for Granna and Grannadaddy, but I had to explain to her that it doesn't work outside, so she would have to show them some other time.  When she went back in, I explained the magic trick to my parents and Grannadaddy asked if I thought Evie still believed it in, which I am pretty sure she does.  

Later, when my parents left, Evie wanted to show her magic to me and I obliged.  However, she finally caught me.  She asked me to show her my hands, which were holding the remote control.  So that bubble was popped, fortunately with no tears.  She still wants to show it to Granna and Grannadaddy and trick them into facing away from their dimming light switch in the living room.  So she was a very good sport about learning that she doesn't actually have magical control over the lights.  It kind of hurt to have her figure that out.

In other news, Evie and I have found the solution to our headache problem.  Since starting virtual school, both of us have days where we are staring at the computer screen with few breaks from 8 am - 3 pm (sometimes longer in my case) and we were consistently getting headaches and eye strain.  I bought a 2-pack of blue light glasses and they have really helped!  And Evie looks pretty cute in glasses.



We took time from school this week for Evie to get Flumist.  After having the flu last year, I have reminded her several times over the year that she's going to need to get the flu shot or flu mist (if they had it) so she doesn't get sick.  This reminder was necessary because she pretty much freaks out at the thought of shots.  But I have had her think back to how miserable she was when she had the flu so that she wouldn't forget when the time came that she'd rather have the vaccination than the flu.  So, we went to the doctor and fortunately they had the mist.  She was sitting on the exam table and was going to try to take the mist on her own with the nurse's help, rather than sitting in my lap like she did a couple of years ago, but when the nurse started approaching her she said, "Just a second, I need just a second," and I could sense there was a meltdown brewing.  She said, "Mama, can you come hold me?"  So I held her head in place and she didn't fight it - I was really impressed with her, considering that the last time she had a strep test done, she fought it so much they weren't sure it was going to be an accurate result.  In celebration, we went to get ice cream.







No comments:

Post a Comment