Friday, December 27, 2019

Nutcracker, Christmas, and More

What a busy week!  Evie had her two performances of The Nutcracker this past weekend.  It was her first year to be in both shows (previously she's been only in the Sunday cast) and that added an extra layer of complexity and busyness to our weekend.  She was really great in her role as a Party Girl.  Granna, Grannadaddy, Seth, Addie, Will and I were in the audience on Saturday, and Kathy, Rickie, and Tia joined Seth and me on Sunday, so she had a good bit of support for both performances.


I love this tradition of Daddy giving his little girl flowers for a performance.

Will is very funny, apparently.  I love the way Evie looks here.

It's hard to believe Will is only 15 months older than Evie.  Then again, he's taller than Addie who is 3 years old than him...



Sunday was especially hectic because we had church, of course, so Evie had to go to church with her hair and make up already done because we only had half an hour to leave church, get lunch, and drive across town to the theatre for her call time.

Here's Evie holding baby Lydia before church starts.

Evie has now joined the ranks of acolytes at the church.  She saw Will do it the Sunday after Thanksgiving and immediately asked if she could acolyte soon, so she had her first time this Sunday when Will was there too.

Ready for Show #2


Tia wrote Evie a sweet note and gave her her musical ballerina.  This is especially moving if you know that Tia was a dancer from age 3-18 and taught ballet for years after that.



After the show, we went to Kathy's house and Tia gave Evie, Addie, and Will their Christmas presents, including the annual Christmas penguin pjs.


Addie and Will spent the night Sunday night and the next day we made Christmas cookies.  I remember my mom making them with me, and I used her recipe.  She wrote it down in a book that she gave me when Seth and I got married, and she included a note that she remembered her mom making dough for my mom and her siblings to cut out and decorate as well.  I love traditions passed down through the generations.



Monday night we took the kids to Starry Nights. This was Evie's first experience with a bonfire and she wasn't such a fan when her marshmallow caught on fire.



Tuesday was Christmas Eve and we spent the day at my parents' house, listening to King's College's Lessons and Carols and playing games.  We had worship at our church that evening where Evie acolyted again.

I love her headband we got from her ballet fundraiser table.



After church, we went to my parents' house for our usual Christmas Eve feast (as I coined it when I was a child) and then we came back to our house for Evie to head to bed and await Santa's arrival.  Seth and I went to church at the Episcopal cathedral with my dad, brother, and cousin Andrew, while Rickie and then Kathy stayed with Evie until we got home a little after midnight.


At about 7 am Christmas morning, Evie came into our room announcing that it was Christmas and she was ready to open presents, so we got up and watched her amazement at the present Santa brought (a magic kit), and her appreciation of the other items under the tree.




Then it was off to Granna and Granndaddy's house again for presents with the cousins.



Grandma Jeanne has been in the hospital or rehab center since Labor Day, except for 36 hours between complications, so we were really happy we were able to spring her out for Christmas lunch.


Grandma Jeanne got Evie this little pug puppy that breathes and sleeps.



As is our custom, we went to Tim and Ginger's house for dinner and games.  Evie wore out about 8:30 so I took her home while Seth stayed to play games.  She crashed so hard!

 Yesterday we spent the day inside, not doing anything.  I needed it because I have gotten sick, per usual around this time of year.  Evie snuggled with Edison on the couch.


It's been a great Christmas and we are looking forward to a happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment