The kids always enjoy sitting at the little table. Also notice the Pooh balloons in the upper left corner and the pink, green and yellow balloons that match the kids' chairs.
Winnie the Pooh cake. The cake design is called "A New Tail For Eeyore" because in part of the movie the focus is on the fact that Eeyore has lost his tail again and the other animals try many other objects (anchor, red balloon, pinwheel) in place of the tail. Evie loved seeing her Pooh friends on her cake.
Opening up a birthday gift from Grandma Jeanne, with help from Lydia.
Evie had such a great time playing with everyone and developed a special game with Zach. She was just a little intimidated by him at first, but he started hiding from her on the couch and then peering over the couch at her - something she loves! So she started warming up to him and would say, "Where go? Dat (Zach)?" and he would pop out at her from an unexpected location. She even let him play "Get you" with her which is her new favorite game wherein she runs around the house and you are supposed to chase and eventually catch and tickle her. They played for at least 15 minutes with Zach popping up or chasing her, and she loved it. The funniest part was when Evie came over to where I was sitting across from the couch and Zach laid down on the floor as his next surprise place. Zach's brother Aiden who had been doing something else then sat on the couch where Zach had been so when Evie turned around to ask where Zach was, her eyes went straight to Aiden and completely missed seeing Zach lying only inches from her. She even walked past the couch looking for Zach, even though Zach was saying, "Evie, I'm right here! Here's Zach!" It took her a minute or so to find him even though he had been literally right under her nose at one point.
Saturday morning was a big surprise for Evie when she came downstairs to see Addie and Will who had arrived in the middle of the night because Ryan drove them up from Dallas late Friday afternoon and into the evening. They had so much fun playing together and shared really well for the most part. Evie introduced Addie and Will to "101 Dalmatians" which is her favorite movie to watch at Granna and Grannadaddy's and the kids all stayed with Ryan, Seth, and Grannadaddy while Granna and I hosted a shower for my friend Cristaldawn. We're told the kids ate beans and Pooh cake for lunch while we were gone and played lots of ball.
I had had some kind of illness since Thursday and was completely zapped of energy after two parties and house hunting so Sunday morning the Maynes stayed home while the rest of the family went to church. Evie had the house to herself and played with her new toys from her birthday party, including trying to fit herself into the pack-n-play that is supposed to be for her babydoll. She can just squeeze into it so hopefully she will be physically too big for it soon so she won't break it! Sunday afternoon she played with her cousins some more before they had to leave. Then we watched the Tony awards which is one of my favorite events of the year. The first number was from "After Midnight" which has lots of tap dancing and Evie was mesmerized. She watched the whole number with big eyes and I have to admit I was a proud theatre Mama.
Monday we left from Memphis in the mid-morning and drove back to Nashville. Evie slept about half of the way but the other half she was talking up a storm and playing with a set of stickers I took from Granna's house. They were stickers of farm animals so she enjoyed requesting "tao" (cow), "shee" (sheep), "woof woof" (dog), and "tweet tweet" (bird) stickers to be placed on her hands, knees, feet, cheeks, legs, or wherever the mood struck her.
I have to share a story from last week that I'd forgotten about. Evie and I were sitting on the front porch waiting for DaDa to get home when someone in the neighborhood started a weed whacker, making this low, whirring noise. Evie came up to me and said, "dao!" This was a new one for me, I had no idea what she was talking about. Maybe a towel? "No tao," she said, "Dao!" I still didn't get it. "A cat?" I asked her, thinking maybe she meant to say meow. She looked at me like I was idiotic and said slowly and intensely, "mooooooooooo". I guess she thought the weed whacker sounded like a cow. How silly of me.
Another funny thing from this week, yesterday actually. Well, let me preface this by saying that Evie uses baths as a delay tactic when she doesn't want to go to sleep. If I tell her it's night night time and she's not ready, she will ask for a "bas", especially if there's a possibility Granna might be the one to give it to her (though, shockingly, she asked for a bath from DaDa Sunday morning even though it wasn't bedtime and he hadn't given her one since about August of 2012 - she even told me "byebye" because she wanted it to be DaDa who bathed her). So yesterday I met with some friends for dinner and brought Evie with me - we went to Red Robin which Evie's been to a few times and I've changed her diaper in there before. So when she started requesting "bas" in the middle of dinner because she was covered in ketchup, I told her we'd have to wait until we got home. More and more insistent she yelled "Bas! Bas!" I finally diverted her attention to something else, but as we were leaving the restaurant she was back to wanting a bath. I told her there were no bathtubs in Red Robin and that even if there were I certainly wouldn't bathe her in one, but she plopped herself down in the middle of the exit and wouldn't budge, so I followed her back to the bathroom. I guess she just wanted her diaper changed because she was happy as a clam once we got inside the bathroom. She didn't even need changing, I guess she just remembered that we had done that last time and, being a creature of routine, she knew something was missing.
I have been so proud of her this week for how well she's handled being dropped off at daycare. Up until this week there have been tears, at least since she started in the new classroom. I know they never last long and often I can hear that she is not crying anymore even by the time I'm in the parking lot, but I never like to hear her cry. This week, she has marched herself into the classroom, given her teacher her blanket or food for the day or whatever we're carrying in, and sat right down with the other kids to dive into whatever activity they are doing. I am sad that we'll be leaving CFCC because she's comfortable with that building. I do have a daycare lined up for her in August for when we move, but she'll be just home with us during the month of July and I'm afraid that will make the transition back to daycare harder when she starts. Maybe we'll get to do halfdays and work our way into it like we did here. Anyway, it's just funny to me that now that she's two she is suddenly no longer crying at drop off. Growing up!


No comments:
Post a Comment