Thursday, February 13, 2014

Words, Words, Words

More words and modes of expression for Evie this week!  She learned a few new words like snow and open, but what I was most impressed with is that she's starting to put words together.  Now, she's already said stuff like "Thank you", but that's not considered an actual two word utterance because she doesn't use those words individually.  She just learned "thank you" as a single concept.  For something to be a two word utterance, it's got to be a pairing of two separate concepts.  So, for example, Evie said to me this morning, "More cookie", which is the first time she's ever paired "more" (which she says all the time) with "cookie" (which she also says on repeat every time we get in the car).

Also, yesterday, she and I sat on the front porch on the swing for a bit watching the cars.  We went back in after a bit because it was so cold and she did NOT want to go in.  I sat down on the couch trying to entice her with a book.  She came over to me and hit the book and said, "No, not that!" which is the first time I've ever heard her say "not that".

We've had a bit of a hum drum week around here, so not much new to report.  We went to April and Jason's house on Friday and watched the opening ceremony of the Olympics.  Evie did great with Ivy and Peanut, as usual, and she even said "Ivy"and could distinguish it from "Evie".  Evie went with me to lunch on Saturday with some of my friends from work and she entertained herself with a new puzzle.  She loves to do puzzles and I have gotten her several new ones in the last few weeks.  She's really quick with them.  I got her one with fish of different colors and she did it right the very first time she did it.  I was very impressed.

Her obsession with the "What Does the Fox Say" song continues.  She now identifies the fox in the video as Edgar and shouts his name as soon as the fox comes on in the video.  She also sings along with a lot of the chorus, which is pretty adorable, and dances too.  I have yet to be able to get her on video doing it because she gets distracted and wants to take the phone from me.  But I assure you, it's hilarious.

We found a low cost bit of fun around the house this week.  Back when Evie was first born and I was nursing her, I put this frosted adhesive plastic on the windows around the front door so that people wouldn't be able to see in through the glass.  I decided it would be fine to remove the plastic on the lower panes since we'll need to do it if we sell the house anyway and that way Evie would be able to look out the bottom panes to see the street.  But I've discovered that they've been on for so long that there's now a sticky residue left behind unless you scrub at it.  Evie was sitting with me while I was working on this project and she loved taking the piece of plastic that I'd just pulled off of the window and replacing it again on the sticky residue.  She was entertained for a good 10 minutes or so, and I loved watching her face while she marveled over this mystery.

Little cherub face

I love the color of her eyes

1 comment: